To act fairly and reasonably in all dealings with customers in matters of
To display on bank’s website
- Providing minimum banking facility of receipt and payment of cash cheques at the bank’s counter. Basic banking services are provided in the NO Frills accounts.
- Meet the commitments and standards in the charter for the products and services offered and in the procedure and practices followed
- Ensuring that products and services meet relevant laws and regulations in letter and spirit.
- Ensuring dealings with the customers rest on ethical principles of integrity and transparency
- Opening a secure and reliable banking and payment system
- To deal quickly and sympathetically with customer grievances arising due to errors, delays in handling of customer related issues or on account of problems arising due to technological failure.
To maintain privacy and confidentiality of the customers’ personal information except in the following cases. However, the bank may utilize the information for cross-selling of own products/services.
- Public awareness on the Ombudsman Scheme- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Banking Ombudsman (BO) offices are trying to educate the public about the Banking Ombudsman Scheme through awareness campaigns. However, these efforts will be complimented by the Bank.
- Our policies would clearly lay out approach to customer care taking into account the geographic spread of branches, segments of customers, need of special sections like senior citizen, physically challenged person etc. This policy will also clearly define and distinguish the features of different products and services and will indicate the target customer group.
- The banks approach to financial education aspects documented through a policy frame work
- Customer centricity - Customer Centricity - Our bank’s approach to develop ‘Client First Attitude’ by its employees is documented and the same includes aspects such as positive attitudinal change, behavior and practices, the skill gaps of employees, the process of re-engineering the recruitment of staff for the purpose etc. Bank Board will evolve Human Resources policies which will recruit for attitude and train for skills.
- The bank’s policy framed to ensure the prescribed response time for every type of grievance will be approved by the Top Management of the bank.
- Bank will codify annually all its policies/operational guidelines as that would help the front-line staff to serve the customers.
- The internal inspection / audit reports of banks will adequately focus on customer service and the Audit Rating will appropriately reflect the importance of customer service.
- A comprehensive policy for Customer Acceptance, Customer Care and Customer Severance.
- Deposit Policy.
- Cheque Collection Policy.
- Grievance Redressal Policy.
- Compensation Policy.
- Collection of Dues and Security Repossession Policy
To publicize the Charter:
- Where disclosure is under compulsion of law.
- Where there is duty to the public to disclose.
- Where interest of the bank requires disclosure
- Where the disclosure is made with the express or implied consent of the customer.
To provide services to the customers as per standards laid down in the Code of Bank’s Commitments to customers of BCSBI.
- Provide the customer a copy of the Charter on request.
- Make available this Charter on Bank’s website.
- Ensure training to the staff to put the Charter into practice.
SPECIAL CUSTOMER Pensioners and Other Senior Citizens –
- Suggestions/Feed backs are welcome.
- Display business hours.
- Render courteous services.
- Attend to all customers present in the banking hall at the close of business hours.
- Provide separate 'Enquiry' or 'May I help you' counter at large branches.
- Display interest rates for various deposit schemes from time to time.
- Keeping customers informed about changes / modification in interest rates, charges, terms & conditions through bank’s website.
- Provide details of various deposit schemes/services of the Bank in the bank’s website.
- Display Time-Norms for various banking transactions.
- Pay interest for delayed credit of outstation cheques, as advised by RBI from time to time
- Provide immediate credit in respect of outstation and local cheques up to a specified limit subject to certain conditions, as advised by RBI from time to time.
- Provide complaint book and /suggestion box in the branch premises and provide link on the web-site of the bank to facilitate customers to lodge their grievance.
- Display address of administrative offices as well as Nodal Officer dealing with customer grievances/complaints. There will be specific and proper queue management system at branches where there is heavy crowd, with basic facilities of seating arrangements, drinking water etc.
- Bank will reconcile certain issues regarding ‘one-man’ branches by putting in place proper safeguards which ensure ‘four eyes’ principle, safety of cash and also continuity of services in case of leave, etc.
- Uniform Account Opening Form (AOF) - common to all banks, similar to formats for loans and advances available. Additional information required for individual banks may be obtained in the Annexure to AOF which will also contain detailed checklist of documents to be submitted by the customer and this check-list will also be available in the website of all Banks. Specimen of Account Opening Form is enclosed. For account opening, the Know Your Customer (KYC) regulatory guidelines require us to seek documents for (i) proof of identity and (ii) proof of address. The documents required for account opening are given in Annexure-I
- Open no frill accounts under Financial Inclusion with prescribed minimum balance except in accounts where specifically exempted.
- Open a Savings Bank account in the name of individuals, singly or jointly, minors of the age of 10 years and above or under natural/legal guardianship or by an illiterate/blind person.
- The name of the payee as well as instrument number in case of debit entries and the name of payee bank/drawer of instrument as well as instrument number in case of credit entries will be provided by the bank in the Passbooks/Statement of Accounts.
- Transfer the account from one branch to another branch, free of charge.
- Account Number Portability: Customer will also be allowed to maintain the same account number in a bank even when he /she moves to another city or shifts his account to another branch in the same city. Request letter for transfer of account with account number portability can be submitted either at transferor or transferee branch.
- Provide facility of standing instruction for regular payments like insurance premium, rent, tax etc.
- Allow premature withdrawals, unless specified otherwise, at the rate of interest applicable for the period for which the deposit has run or the contracted rate whichever is lower, subject to penalty, if any, prescribed by the bank. No interest will be paid on premature withdrawals of deposit which has remained with the bank for less than prescribed minimum number of days for issuance of FDR.
- Allow premature withdrawal of fixed deposits in the name of Deceased Depositor(s) to the Survivors/nominee specified by the depositor(s) at the time of issuance of such fixed deposit. On overdue fixed deposit bank may pay interest as per the method of calculation prescribed from time to time
- Allow generally loans/overdrafts against deposits except on Certificates of Deposit (CD) Tax Saver Scheme/ Capital Gains Scheme. Such loans are sanctioned by charging interest at rates directed by RBI from time to time or as prescribed by the Bank.
- As a measure of good customer service, the Bank may intimate the depositor in advance regarding the date of maturity. Banks may also provide auto renewal facility at the request of the customer. Renewal Notices for Term Deposits- The term deposit renewal notices will be sent to customers preferably in electronic form to enable them to decide the renewal terms, Statement of all deposit accounts in summary form giving details like principal amount, maturity value, maturity dates, rate of interest, annualized interest yield etc. shall be provided by banks. Further, the bank will not auto-renew the deposit accounts without customer consent in writing.
- Pay interest on deposits either monthly at discounted value or quarterly or half-yearly (quarterly compounded i.e., reinvestment of interest) or on the date of maturity at the option of the depositor as applicable under particular deposit scheme. Maturity proceeds of Rs.20,000/- and above will be paid by account payee cheque or credit to account. Cash payment of FDR/TDR will not be made if amount of Principal+ Interest is Rs.20,000/- and more.
- Provide TDS statement explicitly mentioning details of gross interest credited and TDS debited as generated from Tax Information Network (TIN) website.
- Pay interest on overdue deposit if the deposit is renewed, as decided by the Bank from time to time. If it is not renewed as per bank’s decided norms, to pay interest at savings bank interest rate.
- Issue duplicates FDR in the event the original FDR is lost, subject to Depositor(s) completing required formalities prescribed by the Bank from time to time.
- Provide linkage of Terms and Conditions of various Products like PPF or any future products introduced for specific segments, say senior citizens, which are provided on an agency basis by bank , properly integrated into the CBS
Customers in Rural and Semi urban Areas-
- There will be prioritized service to senior citizens, physically handicapped persons by effective crowd / people management available at all branches.
- Provide automatic updation of age records and then conferring senior citizen benefits wherever applicable once a customer becomes a senior citizen.
- The needs of the senior citizens and the physically challenged persons will also be an important input for Bank in deciding on the branch locale and its access.
Self Help Groups (SHGs)-
- Bank will ensure proper currency exchange facilities and also the quality of notes in circulation in rural areas.
- It will be ensured that the branches are opened as per the schedule times and operating them for the full hours.
Tribal Areas/North East –
- SHG members will not be forced to take insurance products.
- Bank will provide loans to SHGs in tranches. However, the same will take into account the business requirements of the SHG rather than depending solely on the repayment made by the SHGs.
Providing banking facilities to Visually impaired persons-
- The business correspondent / facilitator model will be used for improving the banking facilities in the tribal areas. Prominent citizens belonging to important Tribes of the region could also be considered for appointment as Business Correspondent (BC).
- Bank will ensure that at least one of the staff members in the branches in tribal areas is conversant with local language.
- Financial education material in pictorial form and audio presentations in local dialect will be used in Tribal areas.
- To achieve the banking/financial inclusion it will be endeavour of the Bank to implement the guidelines provided by the RBI and Government to transfer and posting the staff to the region. Further, the staff so selected and posted will also focus on local talent building and development.
- Bank will facilitate opening the accounts for the SHGs in the region in furthering the cause of financial inclusion in the region.
- Bank will take further steps for improvement in provision of RTGS / NEFT facility to the customers from the region.
Payment of Balance in Accounts of the deceased customer to Survivor /Claimants.
- In order to facilitate access to banking facilities by visually challenged persons, bank will offer banking facilities including cheque book facility / operation of ATM/ locker etc., to the visually challenged who are capable of using those facilities.
- Legal Guardianship Certificate issued under the National Trust Act,1999 empowers the disabled persons with autism, cerebral palsy, mental retardation and multiple disabilities to have accounts.
- Bank will rely upon the Guardianship Certificate issued either by the District Court under Mental Health Act or by the Local Level Committees under the above Act for the purposes of opening / operating bank accounts.
- Essential details about the facilities are enumerated in the Enactment (Mental disabilities Act).
The bank follows a simplified procedure for settlement of death claims without insisting on production of succession certificate. However, the bank may adopt such safeguards in considering settlement of claims as appropriate including accepting an indemnity bond. The bank will adopt a simplified procedure for settlement of claims of the deceased customers relating to deposits, contents of Lockers and articles kept in safe custody with the bank. The bank is continuously communicating to its customers for making nomination in the accounts in terms of provisions of the Banking Regulation Act.
The simplified procedure as under:
Settlement of Claim Cases on the basis of Nomination
Where the customer has made a nomination in the deposit account/Locker/ articles kept in safe custody, on death of such customer, the nominee is required to make a request on prescribed form to the concerned branch along with death certificate or other proof of death.
The nominee is required to establish his/her identity. The bank will make the payment to the nominee unless on or before the time of payment any order of court is received prohibiting the bank from making such payment. The nominee will receive the money/contents of locker as a trustee of the legal heirs of the deceased.
Settlement of Claim Cases in Joint Accounts with Survivorship Clause
In a Joint Account, if the Account Opening Form provides for payment of the balance to the survivor, upon the death of one of the account holders, payment can be made to the survivor unless on or before the time of payment any order of court is received prohibiting the bank from making such payment. The survivor has to provide a Death Certificate or other proof of death of the joint holder. The Survivor can make a request to the concerned branch for transfer of the outstanding balance in his name.
Settlement of Claim Cases in Joint Accounts with Survivorship Clause
In such cases, the claimant is required to submit a claim form. In case the legal heirs of the deceased customer are identifiable and there is no dispute amongst the legal heirs, the bank has not prescribed any upper ceiling up to which claims can be settled without insisting for obtaining Succession Certificate/Letter of Administration etc. These claims are settled after obtaining Indemnity with or without Surety to the satisfaction of the bank. In case only one of the legal heirs wants to claim / receive the amount or contents of locker etc. he/she can obtain a Power of Attorney in his/her favor from the other legal heirs for receiving the amount of the Deposit Accounts and / or the contents of the Locker.
Timeline for settlement
In case all formalities are completed by the claimant(s) the claim will be settled within 15 days from the date of submission of claim documents, complete in all respects, to the Branch.
At the time of payment of the claim, the claimant(s) shall give receipt to the Branch.
Exchange of Soiled/Slightly Mutilated Currency Notes at Public Sector Banks.
All branches of the bank will exchange freely soiled and slightly mutilated / cut notes of all denominations. No essential feature of the note should be missing. The bank’s currency chest branches will exchange torn/mutilated/defective notes free of cost. Currency exchange facility is offered to the Bank's customers and others
The Bank follows RBI guidelines in this respect. RBI has permitted the banks to exchange mutilated currency notes which are genuine and where mutilations are such as not to cause suspicion or fraud. The Bank's currency chest branches exchange all categories of mutilated currency notes. Refund value of these notes is, however, paid as per RBI (Note refund) Rules. Currency exchange facility is offered to the Bank's customers and others.
Safe Deposit Vaults ( Lockers)
The facility of safe deposit lockers is an ancillary service offered by the Bank. There will be a completely transparent process in the allocation of locker facility. The bank's branches offering this Facility will indicate/display this information. The identification of locker branches shall be done by the Bank at its discretion based on potential and commercial considerations etc. as the relationship of the Bank with the locker hirer(s) that of Bailor and Bailee. Bank shall exercise due care and necessary precautions for the safety of lockers provided to the customers like ordinary prudence will do in his case. However, bank shall not be liable for any damage or loss to lockers or its contents, due to any reasons(s) whatsoever.
The major aspects governing the services:
- A locker may be hired by an individual (not minor), firm, limited company, specified associations, societies, etc.
- Nomination facility is available to individual hirer of safe deposit locker.
- Loss of key should be immediately informed to the branch. However all the expenses incurred in repairing the lock and key shall be borne by the hirer(s).
- Lessee may use his/her own pad lock on the locker. Locker holders are however, advised to get an insurance cover for the jewellery, valuables etc. kept in the locker.
- Lockers are available in different sizes.
- Lockers are rented out for a minimum period of one year. Rent is payable in advance. In case of overdue rent, the bank will charge penalty as decided from time to time.
- The rent may be paid from the deposit account of the lessee through standing instruction.
- The Bank reserves its right to break open the locker if the rent is not paid despite notices sent by the bank as per the rules, and recover charges thereof.
- The facility of safe deposit vault is available to customers having SB/CA account with the bank. For availing the above facility, the customer has to deposit a prescribed amount in fixed deposit for a minimum period of three years for meeting the annual rent of the locker out of interest and to meet break open charges, if required.
Articles in Safe Custody
Articles like shares, securities, etc. can be kept in safe custody with the Bank on prescribed charges wherever such facility is offered. Large/small boxes must be locked by the customer(s) and particulars must be written/ painted thereon. The lock should be covered by sturdy cloth and sealed with the customer's seal. Relationship of banker and customer shall be that of bailer and bailee.
Before taking delivery of the drafts, customer is to verify that the draft is complete in all respects including signature of the official(s) along with their specimen signature numbers at the place provided for.
Bank will issue duplicate demand draft to the customer within a fortnight from the receipt of request. For delay in issuing duplicate draft beyond the above stipulated period, the bank will pay interest at the rate applicable for fixed deposit of corresponding maturity in order to compensate the customer for such delay.
- Customers may remit funds from one centre to another centre by RTGS, NEFT/EFT and Demand Drafts by paying specified charges.
- Demand Drafts for Rs 50,000/- and above will be issued by the banks only by debit to the customer's account or against cheques or other instruments tendered by the purchaser and not against cash payment. Similarly, such payments for Rs 50,000/- and above will be made through banking channels and not in cash.
- The drafts can be revalidated by the payee(s) if they are identified as the holder in due course. The drafts can be revalidated only once within one year from the date of issue. After one year of the draft, they are to be cancelled at the issuing branch, and a fresh draft obtained after paying the requisite service charges.
ATM/DEBIT CARD TRANSACTIONS
Branches in North Eastern region will endeavour to arrange for backup of alternate sources of energy for supply of power for ATM machines so as to ensure continuous service to the customers.
In case of doubt about the success / failure of an ATM transaction, the copy of the JP log called for from an acquiring bank and the preceding and succeeding transactions will also be included in the copy.
Mobile Banking –
Transaction Value, Destination of transaction (two level authorisation for non-routine destinations), security based on hand-sets, frequency of payments will be introduced.
Bank will encourage formation of user communities to get feedback on the banks and also to enhance the efficiency of their products and design new products.
Account settlement in POF format will be sent by e-mail. If customer requests so (password encrypted document)
Bank will send e-mail giving the balance position at agreed periodicity viz. daily, weekly fortnightly etc. to current account holders with high transactions.
ECS MANDATE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Mandate Management System is working effectively to comply with the mandate given by the customer in respect of limit of debit amount, expiry date, withdrawal of mandate, etc. Withdrawal of mandate for any ECS debit payment will not be left to the mercy of the beneficiary.
LOANS AND ADVANCES
- Pricing and Non-pricing Terms and Conditions of Loans- All Pricing and Non-pricing Terms and Conditions of Loans will be in strict conformity with the Regulatory Guidelines and correctly capture the risks involved and the rating of the borrowers concerned individually or as a class. Regulation will ensure that customers clearly understand the pricing policies of banks, and the Supervision will ensure strict compliance of bank with the Regulatory Guidelines regarding Pricing and Non-pricing terms governing all Loans.
- The CBS software will be so enabled so as to provide the following Provision to apply for Retail Loan and will be available in bank’s portal and Internet Banking. Reason for Penal Interest on Loan accounts, Rate of Interest charged in Loan accounts etc. will be mentioned in the Passbooks/Statement of Accounts.
- Housing Loan Interest Certificate/Education Loan interest Certificates are required for Income Tax purpose by the borrowers every year. CBS software will be enabled to generate/issue such certificates in respect of all Housing Loan and Educational Loan customers in the month of April every year.
- Loan Statement- Bank will ensure that loan statements are issued to the borrowers periodically giving details of loan disbursed, demands and repayments effect alongwith interest and details of charges.
- Loan Documents- Borrower will be made aware upfront about various documents required to be produced for processing of loan application, instead of in piecemeal.
- Bank will automatically provide annual account statement to Home Loan customers without request from them. Such statements will contain details of payment made towards principal and interest including principal outstanding.
- Normally bank guarantees will be closed and margin money returned upon return of original bank guarantee duly discharged by the beneficiary. In its absence, it will be closed one month after its expiry and after intimating the beneficiary. The title deeds will be returned to the customers within a period of 15 days after the loan closure and for delayed return of title deeds or where there is a loss of title deeds in the custody of the bank customer will be suitably compensated as per the Compensation Policy of the Bank.
- Bank has already switched over to Base Rate. Notice with regard to the benefits of switchover and option available to the customer is displayed on our website. .
- Bank will send SMS or e-mail alert informing the change in interest rate on loan availed due to change in base rate etc.